Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Crime Scene Investigation and Forensic Work.... off my list of potential careers.

I know this is disturbing, but this is the kind of thing that I would have to see and overcome if I were to go into a career in CSI.

This picture, alone, makes me never want to go into crime scene investigation work. Originally, after reading a bunch of cold case books and watching the stories of murders and serial killer biographies, I thought my interest in criminal justice would be enough to give me a reason to consider making it a career choice. Today, I saw this picture and realized I could never do it.

I didn't go around searching for this photo, but it came up randomly in an image search. This is from a forensic picture site meant for undergraduate and postgraduate students.


This is the website, though like the picture above the pictures on the site are disturbing. Most of them are from numerous methods of suicide, as well as homicide. This picture of the little boy alone made me sick enough to turn away from ever doing this. The media that talks about suicide and homicide don't show the reality of it. How truly disturbing hearing that "a young boy got shot in the head this afternoon" is.

Originally, I thought forensics might be a good path for me, but my parents said that they don't think I would be thick skinned enough for it. They were right. I literally feel like I'm going to throw up just from seeing some of these pictures from this website-- because it's the reality of the situation. These people that perform autopsies must be completely emotionally numb-- not saying that they're bad people, but it takes a certain personality to do something like this... someone that doesn't take anything they hear or see to heart unless it relates to them. Personally, I'm way too compassionate to do something like this.

yours,
Emily

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it takes someone very special to do that. Glad you realized now before you were already in the midst of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not saying at all that people that are in this profession are emotionally numb, though it may sound like it. this picture

    I posted literally sent me into a crying fest-- it was more a combination of things happening and it put me over the edge I guess. I'm so happy I realized this before I changed my major or something.

    ReplyDelete

Let's avoid being rude and nasty, thanks