Thursday, January 20, 2011

☆official countdown ☆

Today I thought I was going to get to meet with the councilor, and printed out my current standings with credits and such as well as where I stand at the end of Winter quarter in regards to graduating. As of now, I have 51 credits, but after Winter quarter I'll have 61. I have no doubt in my mind that I will pass both my Japanese II and critical writing class, considering that they're the only classes I'm taking. That being said, I'm counting them when I made my calculations on how many credits I need.

By the end of Winter quarter, I will have communications done (which includes English), Humanities are done, Social and Behavioral Science is done (finished that this last fall), and Health and Physical Education is done. I have 10/15 credits in mathematical and natural sciences. This is what I've accomplished in my four quarters of being here, and I'm pretty proud of myself. I feel that I've gotten the bulk of the meat and potatos classes done, aside from the math.

Here is what I need to get my AA, the last 34 credits:
☆5 Credits in Quantitive Reasoning
☆Pass int. algebra [math 95 or 98, depending on where I place]
☆Pass one more Math and Natural Science class [probably introductory biology]
☆Get 4 more elective classes done worth 5 credits each.

The plan....
 I take 15 credits a quarter, with the exception of this one because of the stupid symbolic reasoning situation. So now, it looks as though I will be done here by the end of next fall.
This next spring quarter I will need to take my math class, as well as Japanese III (elective) and another elective class of some kind. I could REALLY load up my schedule next spring by taking a science course, but the fact that I'm doing math and Japanese will make a tough quarter on it's own, and I don't want to completely overwhelm myself.
So the plan for Spring is: Japanese III, Math 095, -Some 5 cred elective-



Japanese is not offered in the summer, so this will be when I take biology. Biology is offered year round so this will be a good opportunity for me to take it. Quantitative reasoning, which is called Math in Society (which sounds WAY more understandable) is also offered in the summer, so I'll be taking this. It still looks hard though, and in order to take it I have to pass Math 095 in the spring. Shouldn't be a problem.
So the plan for Summer is: Quantitative Reasoning, Biology, -Some 5 Credit Elective-


That being done, fall quarter should be cake. All I would need left is one elective class, which would be Japanese IV. This will probably be the quarter that I spend most of my time working and saving really hard for transfering.
So plan for next fall: Japanese IV


I do this periodically on my blog to give myself an idea of where I stand. Sometimes I feel anxious to get out of the tri cities and move on with my life, get out of the house, and experience the real world. I'm really enjoying school, but I'm really REALLY looking forward to going over to Central.
I still don't know what I want to do though. With my love of Japan, my first choice would still to be an English teacher over in Japan even if it seems so clique. I think it's funny that me and Katelynn have the same dream, but I don't know if either of us are actually going to pursue it. I've considered business as well, but it seems so boring. Being an English teacher has always just stood out as something I'd be good at, and I like working amongst other people. Regardless, if I'm going to minor in Japanese I will get to study abroad from Central and that would be incredible. So in a year or two I could potentially be getting a chance to live in Japan-- amazing. Or maybe I'll hate it, who knows. I guess it's a huge risk I have to take...
Or is it? The important thing is, I'm in college, and I'm going to get a degree. What degree exactly doesn't matter nearly as much as people put emphasis on.. like my Mom for instance, ugh.

☆yours,
Emily





1 comment:

  1. I took Math in Society online my senior year. It was a good class, very practical math. You don't have to graph things that you'd never use in the real world; it's all real-world math, like percentage rates on loans and savings accounts and things like that. It's a good class, but I still found it challenging lots of times, and I spent many hours in the tutor center--which I highly recommend doing if you have trouble.

    ReplyDelete

Let's avoid being rude and nasty, thanks